Saturday 14 January 2023

Birthday Girl

 Happy New Year to all my cyber friends and followers. I wish you all a healthy and happy one.

Thank you for stopping by. 

My card today is for my DIL in Australia who is celebrating 40 years today! , well it will almost be over in Oz but I hope she has had a lovely day.  I sent this along with their Christmas cards so I know it arrived OK (wasn't I organised)


The heart and flowers are Uniko, the sentiments Phil Martin and the numbers ??..from stash.

The crafting world seems to be changing along with everything else these days. Digital seems to be the way that things are going. I personally derive no pleasure from reading a magazine online, I feel the same about my kindle, it has its plus moments, travelling ets but I so much prefer the magazine or book in my hand.and the same goes for shopping, I like to see and touch what I am considering purchasing, but once again the bricks and mortar are disappearing fast, probably due to the expense of keep them open.

The downfall to online buying is the time one has to wait for delivery and the cost of delivery on top, which is not always good here in the UK with postal strikes added into the mix.

 I ordered printer ink on the 14th December from Amazon which I have still not received, cost a fortune and is now scheduled to come at the end of the month...so digital printing??...expensive.....online buying?? ....about the only option left. 

Craftwise I admire all the products out of America not readily available here and expensive again if they are due to import costs. I don't watch the TV channels as much these days as once again they seem to think you have lots to spend on these bundles and postage costs are high.

So I guess that's my New Year moan..lol! ...........and my New Year Resolutions?, well not really made any other than to use what I have and all that new stuff still untouched. That is if I can remember what to do with it.

One quick question though to anyone out there. Is it best to store Pearlywinks upright or on their side please?

I bought some at the harrogate show last year and yes you guessed it, it has joined the unused pile...lol

Plenty to remedy this year.

If you are still with me...thank you, see you again soon as Thomas's birthday card is winging its way to Oz, well maybe, apparently a cyber attack here on Royal Mail has held up international mail!! PLease remind me why I bother..lol!

Take care everyone and stay safe and warm wherever you are.Thank you for your company.

Crafty hugs

Carole x


8 comments:

  1. Not moans at all Carole, just realism as most of what you say is spot on. I will confess to being an on line shopper for many things, groceries particularly which really kicked off regularly in lockdown and given health etc., is convenient especially since Ocado moved to M&S so along with Waitrose are my two main go to's.

    We had need to pop to some 'real' shops in December and it really wasn't a nice experience, push and shove seemed to be the name of the game, nobody has any time and so many stores closed including what was a huge and refurbished John Lewis.

    So that's my moans done with and can move on to say what a pretty card for your DIL and a good job you were organised as post overseas is very slow at the moment.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty card my friend and DIL will love it!
    Postage is ridiculous - envelope sent from Canada to me went back to the sender - 4 months later!
    With you though on the prices we have to pay here for some things from USA - I resent completely import duty too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought-provoking, Carole. I keep at it because there is nothing like holding a handmade card in one's hands, whether it arrives on time or is late. (Digital is not for me until I am too shaky to make cards. Plus, I can't imagine turning my back on all this non-digital schtuff I have, both loved and unloved.) Do the young people appreciate it? Probably not!

    So perhaps the answer is to do a 'best of both worlds' approach. Let's keep on creating and using our schtuff as long as we can and keep on sending those makes to our friends we know will appreciate them. How does that sound? For those who may not get what goes into making a card, I am taking advantage of one digital service that I admire: Jacquie Lawson cards online. The expense is minimal and the choices are amazing, so I'm going that route for younger people.

    Thankfully, I have lots of friends and family from our generation to send my cards to, so I know I can keep doing this and using my schtuff for a long time to come, God-willing. For those people who appreciate my cards, I think the postage is still reasonable. I certainly couldn't buy anyone a decent gift for the price of a stamp, that's for sure, and I consider our cards to be gifts.

    I'm sure you DIL considers your card as a cherished gift. It is gorgeous, my friend! Happy New Year love and hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. Whenever possible I'm happy to send small US purchases to you and others. I agree that the postage and add-on fees for international purchases is outrageous!❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those flowers are beautiful and so is the 'stamping round the edge'. I used to do that quite often and must try it again. You bother because you love doing it and I'm sure people appreciate your cards, also sure the postal service will sort itself out. It must. I'm sure I don't need any more stuff but do buy it from time to time, I'm not one for digital either. It's certainly a scary world we are living in just now, I'm glad to be able to disappear and do some colouring or cutting out. 😄 x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year, Carole! You've raised some interesting issues in your post and I agree about the digital route. I love the spell and feel of a real book and although the animated on line cards are pretty and fun to look at, they can't be popped on the mantlepiece and shared with everyone. I have a similar resolution of using up some unused goodies before splashing out on more. Sadly, I know from previous experiences that I'll fall prey to the next new releases from my favourite companies before too long lol! Hey ho though - we're helping small companies make a living in these difficult times and supporting our own wellbeing with this creative hobby. I love your pretty card and think you DIL will really appreciate that you took the time to make it for her.
    Take care,
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carole, I have been introduced to you by Ros. I hope you are doing OK. The card for your DIL is really very special, I recognise those Uniko flowers. I agree with you re buying supplies. I love the American brands too, but will never buy direct because of the expense, I am surprised that so many do, or at least you get the impression that they do! I do buy from the small importers like Bumbleberry's and Dies to Die for though. I hope your card isn't caught up in the royal Mail problem, it is so frustrating when you have worked hard to produce something you are proud of, only to find it getting lost in the post. It has happened to me a few times. Friday again, have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is beautiful Carole. I do feel sympathy for you having to get your cards to Australia. I've tried to send there a few times and I've only had one card get there on time! Printer ink.......yes, totally extortionate. I looked online for my last lot and decided that I would do without. In the end, I got some from Asda. Not the original ink but so much cheaper and it works perfectly. All the makes are printed on the packet, so you know that you've got the right cartridges as there are so many similar ones. I loved your comment on clearing out your craft room every year as that's just me to a tee! Take care x

    ReplyDelete